General repairs:

For general or non-urgent repairs you should notify the landlord or agent in writing on the appropriate Maintenance Requisition form or on the Notice to Landlord of Rented Premises form (available from Consumer Affairs Victoria or local tenancy advice services). The landlord then has 14 days to make the repairs.

Urgent repairs:

Urgent repairs are serious problems affecting the safety or security of the property, or failure of any essential service or appliance.

If repairs are urgent, first contact the landlord or agent to fix the problem. If you cannot get a response you may be able to organise repairs yourself, up to a maximum of $1800. You can then give your landlord 14 days notice to refund the money.

The kinds of repairs you can organise to have fixed are:

  • Burst hot water service
  • Blocked or broken lavatory system
  • Serious roof leaks
  • Gas leaks
  • Dangerous electrical faults
  • Serious storm, fire or flood damage
  • Serious fault in a lift or staircase in the rented premises
  • A failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by the landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating or laundering
  • A failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  • Any fault or damage in the premises that makes premises unsafe or insecure
  • An appliance, fitting or fixture which is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted

You may contact the following tradesperson should you need to arrange any urgent repairs:

Plumber/ Gas Fitter                Madeo Plumbing                       0402 163 197    
Electrician                               Mobile Electrical Services          0419 310 595
Glazier                                     Economy Glass                           03 9360 9900
Locksmith                                City West Locksmiths                  0414 930 586
Plumber                                   Caruana Plumbing                     0409 161 566

Under the Residential Tenancies Act, it is a requirement that all maintenance is in writing and if a non-urgent repair is carried out and the reasonable steps have not been taken to inform the landlord or agent of the repair, the tenant will be liable for any charges.

If it is not on this list it is classified as a non-urgent repair.

Make sure you keep copies of any letters, forms or reports about repairs. It is really helpful to put everything to do with repairs and maintenance in writing.